Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Love My Town - Public Service Edition

A few minutes ago something smelled wrong. A moment later I realized that it was smoke stepped outside to hear a man saying to my neighbor "That was a fire." Somehow her recycling bin had caught fire and melted. The cover to the barbecue started burning.

Gannon Bond and Gary Lumpkins were driving by and saw smoke. They put out the little fire before it could turn into a big fire. When we thanked them they said "We work for the County. That's what we do."

Well, yes and no. What they're hired to do is mosquito and rodent control for the Multnomah County Department of Environmental Health. What they do is public service. A lot of other people would have just said "It's someone else's problem" and driven on. Many in the private sector would have been afraid of losing their jobs for fighting private fires on Company time. These guys didn't say "It's not our job. Let someone else do it." They said "Someone has to do it, and we are the ones here and now who can do it."

My hat's off to Messrs. Lumpkins and Bond and all the rest who remind us what Public Service really means.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. This part of the world rocks, and I'm glad I discovered this blog. Will keep checking back... also discovered that Tiel is spelled "Tiel" not teal like the color. My bad.

Dan Gambiera said...

If there were a New York class-action law firm in the North Wet we'd be shooting senior partners so there would be a place for you :)

Tiel was named after a character in a Heinlein novel. We recently found out that it's also the name of the Angel who guards the gate of the North wind. I suspect she glowers at it so that it will stay inside...

Anonymous said...

I think the Feds already tried your suggestion with their indictment of Mel Weiss, leading class action lawyer ;-)
thanks for the Heinlein info. I probably have the novel. Right now am exploring your blogroll, which is also fascinating ...
keep posting.